Recently, we upgraded the TV in our family room to a sleek 50-inch flat panel model. One of the reasons we chose to upgrade was the safety of our two young boys. They are both active boys, and our youngest is a climber. Despite our baby proofing efforts, we worried that the old bulky TV might tip over on the kids. Little did we know that flat panel TVs can be dangerous, too.
For many Americans, a flat panel TV is a great way to enjoy family time and entertainment. However, like me, most parents are unaware of the safety risks that flat panel TVs pose for kids. Today’s large flat panel TVs can easily tip over when bumped or pulled, toppling off of furniture and causing injury or even death.
SANUS, the leading designer and manufacturer of flat panel TV wall mounts, has partnered with Safe Kids Worldwide. By educating consumers on the risk of unsecured flat panel TV’s, SANUS and Safe Kids Worldwide offer safe solutions for families across the nation by reducing TV tip-over related injuries and fatalities.
A 2011 US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) report on flat panel TV safety revealed:
- A child is killed every three weeks by an unsecured TV
- Every 45 minutes a child visits an emergency room due to a TV tip-over related injury
- Between 2000 and 2011, 215 fatalities have resulted from TV tip-overs
- An estimated 17,000 people each year, the majority of which are children, are treated for injuries from TV tip-overs
- Reported cases have increased almost 25% from 2006 to 2010, and over the last 10 years, injuries have increased by 31%
SANUS TV wall mounts are an important tool in preventing injury, and even death. However, the mounts must be installed correctly. SANUS provides great tips and support to ensure that you install your TV mount properly:
- Easy 1, 2, 3 installation with a wall template to ensure even placement
- Online video walk-through of simple installation available at any time
- No additional tools necessary – all required installation hardware is included in package
- Live customer support available 6 days a week
For more information, watch the SANUS TV safety video:
The SANUS giveaway has ended. Congratulations to our winner, Dianne H.
Thank you to all who entered.