This soda can craft tutorial shows you how to turn your old soda cans into adorable soda can bats. They are a great DIY Halloween decoration. They are easy, inexpensive, and unique.
Click here for printable instructions for the soda can bat.
- Soda can
- Black spray paint
- White craft foam
- Black craft foam
- Black Felt
- Googly eyes
- Glue gun and glue sticks
- Yarn (for hanging)
- White or orange paint pen
- Tweezers (optional – they help you position smaller items, such as fangs and eyes)
Shape and paint the soda can
- Tear off the soda can tab.
- Rinse out the soda can.
- Gently crush and bend the cans so that the top of the can tilts forward and the bottom tilts back.
- Spray paint the entire can black (including the top and bottom).
While the paint dries, cut out the bat features
- Cut fangs out of white craft foam.
- Cut wings and ears out of black craft foam.
- Cut a 1″ x 2″ piece of black felt.
Attach the fangs, wings, ears, eyes and yarn to the soda can
- Glue the fangs inside of the soda can opening. (Using tweezers may make it easier.)
- Glue the googly eyes above the soda can opening.
- Glue the ears onto the back rim of the top of the soda can.
- Glue the wings and yarn onto the back of the soda can.
- Glue the piece of felt over the yarn. (This creates a cleaner look on the back of the can, and also helps hold the yarn in place.)
Embellish and enjoy:
- Using a white or orange paint pen, write Boo! Eek!, or another spooky sentiment on the front of the can.
- When the glue and paint are dry, hang and enjoy.