Baked beans are one of my favorite comfort foods. I admit that I will even happily eat them out of a can at times. But nothing beats homemade baked beans.
In this recipe, six simple and pure ingredients meld to create a hearty but sweet flavor with just a hint of savory to round it out. The hardest part of this recipe is the wait. The very best homemade baked beans take time, and these are no exception.
They do need to cook all day, but I promise that the wait will be worth it… and there is no harm in taking a little nibble here and there while you wait. As a matter of fact, I recommend it!
- 4 cups dry beans (use your favorites, we like kidney beans, black beans and/or great northern beans)
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp dry mustard
- ½ cup molasses
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 onion, diced
- Soak, cook and rinse the beans per instructions on the bag.
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
- Pour the beans into a baking dish.
- In a sauce pan bring 1 cup water to a boil, and then add the salt, mustard, molasses and brown sugar.
- Stir until dissolved, and then pour this mixture over beans.
- Sprinkle diced onions on top.
- Add enough hot water to cover the beans.
- Cover and cook for 7 hours.
- Check the beans every couple of hours and add more hot water as needed.
- (In addition, we check the flavor and add more brown sugar, mustard, etc. as needed to get the flavor we want.)
- Uncover and cook for 1 more hour or until water cooks down.
Brown sugar and molasses create the sweet flavor of these beans. Are you a fan of sweet baked beans, or do you prefer yours more on the savory side?